Online Rummy: Real Money Guide
What is rummy and how do you play the game online? A rummy game consists of a large family of card games whose gameplay consists of matching similar playing cards. The traditional game of classic rummy is designed for two or four players but you can stretch it up to six players in total. In online rummy, the number of players can vary depending on the casino site. The game can be played to a specific score or to a certain number of deals before the game is over.
We’ve tried and tested our listed casinos to give you the top online sites to play rummy online. You also have the option to play rummy online free games. Our online rummy guide will let you know all that you need to know about the game. Here’s what you will learn from this guide:
- Rummy culture and its history throughout the years
- How to play rummy games and the different variations
- Rummy rules and our favourite tips and tricks of the game
Best Online Rummy Sites
Our team of game reviewers have gone through the online casino sites on the list to give you the very best. Our online rummy sites have been tried and tested to figure out what to recommend for our players. Only the best have made it to our approved list.
- Sports betting, Live Casino, Slots
- Daily Promotions
Our team has checked their game variety, their rummy game online bonuses and promotions and also their casino mobile version. We have also looked at their variety of payment methods. However, more importantly than rummy games, the casino has gone through various checks to look at the safety and security of payment methods and game play. All our approved casino sites are licensed and regulated by internationally well known regulatory authorities like the MGA, and have had their gaming services certified by independent testing agencies like eCOGRA to make sure that gameplay is always operated as fair and safe. Our team’s final step is to contact the casino site’s customer service to make sure that their service is reliable and that all your casino questions would be answered to the best ability.
Play rummy online at one of our approved casinos and you should not be disappointed.
History of Rummy
The history of rummy is both fascinating and engaging. Although there are a number of variations of the rummy card game, the basic elements of the game remain the same. Its rules are also straightforward and simple. Here’s the history of the rummy classic game.
- The Mexican game of ‘Conquian’ is known to be the original form of rummy. This game was played mostly in Spain and Mexico and made its way to America. The rummy game also travelled to England and back to the Atlantic.
- There’s also the theory that the game of rummy was invented by French settlers in the West from the game of poker. Poker and rummy are similar to each other in terms of grouping cards and forming sequences.
- There is also a theory that rummy made its way to Asia through the Japanese game of Hanafuda. This was back in the 17th century when Hanafuda was a popular game with a variety of card designs.
- Whatever theory you believe the game of rummy originated, it has certainly broken boundaries to bring players together.
Different types of Rummy
Card games have always been a popular means of entertainment all over the world and across cultures. The rummy cash game has taken the world by storm and different cultures have modified the game which led to a number of rummy variations. The online rummy circle grew substantially with the Internet and online gambling boom since this card game stands out from all the rest.
Here are a few online rummy variations that stand out from the rest:
Indian Rummy is an easy card game to learn and play. This version of online rummy is a multiplayer card game played online among two to six players on a table with one or two card decks. Two players can play on a two player table and up to six players can play on a six player table. The game starts when a minimum of two players are seated on a table. 13 cards are dealt to each of the players and they pick and throw away the cards upon their turn, always going in a clockwise direction. All you need to do to finish the game is by making proper sequences and or sets before your opponents. This is how you will win the game.
13 Cards Rummy
13 Cards Rummy is another name for Indian Rummy. This version of rummy has three variations including Points Rummy, Deals Rummy, and Pool Rummy.
Played with a standard deck of 52 cards, Gin Rummy is the easiest version of rummy. It is a popular variant among European gamblers. It is a two player game and each player gets 10 cards which have to be put into at least 3 card sequences and/or sets. The cards are ranked from King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, Ace. Face cards hold 10 points each, number cards carry points same as their face value while an Ace card has just 1 point. The only restriction is that the sequences must be of the same suit.
Kalooki Rummy is very popular in Jamaica and the former Yugoslavia region. A game of three to eight players, the number of decks depends upon the number of players. Each game of Kalooki Rummy is played for nine deals. The aim of the game is to go out by melding and laying down all your cards. The player who has the lowest total score at the end of all the deals, is the winner. Points are allotted to cards in a somewhat different way – Joker (50), Black Aces (15 each), Red Aces (1 each), face cards (10 each) and number cards (same as their face value).
Oklahoma Rummy is a popular version of Gin Rummy and can be played by two to four players. This version makes use of a standard deck of 52 cards and a randomly selected Joker. If there are two players, both of them get 10 cards each; if players are more than two, then each player gets seven cards each. The Ace holds 1 point, the face cards carry 10 points and number cards have the value of their number. Players have to meld their cards and they can get rid of those cards. The player who first discards all his/her cards is the winner.
500 Rummy is also known as Pinochle Rummy and Michigan Rummy and is a game of two to eight players. In this game, the player who gets 500+ points first is the winner. 13 cards are dealt to each player. Properly melded cards help you carry points and the cards that are not a part of any meld get your points deducted. Ace, face cards and Joker carry 1, 10 and 15 points respectively. Players are allowed to take more than one card to reach a card lower down in the pile.
When you play rummy online real money games, the rules of the game are quite simple. Rummy game rules start with the fact that the game is played with two to four players. Online rummy is mostly a game between you and the computer. Live dealer rummy is non existent but some casinos might offer multiplayer gameplay.
The rules of the game is to put your cards into two different combinations. This process is known as melding. These two combinations consist of runs and sets which are also known as books. A run is a rummy sequence of three or more cards in the same suit. A set consists of three or four cards of the same value. Aces can be ranked either as high or low cards in rummy.
How to Play Rummy Online?
The aim of online rummy is to be the first player to lay all their cards on the table. This can be done either by settling down their own melds or a combination of laying down their own melds plus adding to those already on the table.
The cards are dealt face down with the remaining cards placed on the table. This is the ‘stock pile’. The uppermost card is turned over for all to see. Each player takes a turn, during which they:
- Pick up a card from the stock pile or the top of the discarded deck.
- Assess their hand and either retain this card or discardit.
- They may also play some or all of their hands in two ways: by putting a run or set on the table, or by adding to existing melds on the table.
- Melds must have at least 3 cards in them.
- At the end of each turn, a player throws away one card.
- To win the game you either have to have ‘gone out’ – meaning played all your cards in a consecutive goes; or played a ‘rummy’ — played all your cards into melds within one turn.
- When a player has played the entire hand, the other players are punished to the value of their remaining hand.
- Cards are scored according to their face value with picture cards scoring ten and aces scoring one or eleven.
- Hands will continue to be played until the player with the lowest score is announced the winner. This is triggered when one of the players reaches a predetermined ceiling score or after a specified number of hands has been played.
Live Rummy vs. Video Rummy – What Are the Differences?
If you are playing live rummy face to face, you will get the best of both worlds. We can’t see that there are currently live dealer games available for online play rummy in the comfort of their own home.
On the other hand, video rummy is different to live rummy. Video rummy is a virtual game where the output of the game is also generated by a random number generator. This is a fair and secure game to play and all our casinos, which offer video rummy, are tested and verified by independent third party testing and certification labs like eCogra, NMi and BMM.
As we mentioned before, players also have the accessibility to play rummy free games to practice their skills before heading over to real money games. You can also download a rummy app in various casinos to play online rummy on the go on your mobile or tablet.
Most Popular Rummy Strategies
Playing rummy online and winning is mostly down to skill with an element of luck of the draw. There are a couple of strategies that you can adopt to maximise your chance at winning potential earnings. Here are our top rummy strategies:
- Aim for pure sequences – Pure sequences ensure that you don’t get the sum of the points of all the cards in your hand if your opponent ends the game at any time.
- Discard your high value cards – Collecting cards that have high points increases the risk of losing high points if your opponent decides to stop the game by going out.
- Use versatile middle numbers – It is easier to form sequences with middle cards like 5 and 6 than with high value cards like Aces.
Apart from playing online rummy for real money, you can also play an online rummy free game. Free rummy allows you to practice your skills so that you can easily be well educated before playing for real money. This will of course increase your chance to win potentially. You can also play rummy online free without registration. All you have to do is pick a casino site from our list and play online rummy!
Our Best Rummy Tips
We’ve got your back. Playing rummy online is simple. However, it will not hurt to go well prepared to an online game. Here are our top tips and advice to increase your chances at beating your opponent in a game of rummy.
- Improvise the way you use your Jokers. You can use them after forming a pure sequence and form another sequence with them to reduce your total points if your opponent declares the game before you do.
- Arrange the cards in your hand in alternate colours to arrange them in a better order. You can group your cards in a red–black or black–red–black colour combination that can help avoid confusion and avoid making mistakes such as discarding a useful card.
- Observe your opponent closely and track the cards that he picks and discards. This will help you to always stay on track.
- Constantly rearrange your cards to stay on top of the cards that you presently have. During the excitement of the game, you might miss an important card and lose an opportunity to win the game.
- There are some hands that you don’t have to play.
- If you lose, try to lose by minimum points to reduce the amount that you lose.
Now that you’re well informed about this online game and the rummy rules, you can start playing this exciting card game for yourself. All you have to do is visit one of our recommended casino sites and start playing. Whether it’s a free rummy game or playing the card game for real money, we’ve got you covered with our top casino sites.
Our recommended new casinos have been tried and tested, have all the best quality games, a wide range of payment methods and the best customer service. Whichever casino you choose from the list, you can rest assured that you’re playing rummy at a safe and trusted site. Start playing online rummy today!
We can guarantee that playing rummy online at one of our listed casinos is always secure. Our professional team has tried and tested all casinos to check their safety and security for all players. All the approved casinos are licensed and regulated by international gaming authorities and they all offer safe rummy games with the latest encryption technologies.
Our recommended list of casinos all have rummy as part of their game list. Playing at one of our top sites is simple. All you have to do is pick your favourite casino, sign up and get started. You can either choose to play rummy for free or for real money.
Rummy is a game of skill with an element of luck which means that there is a slightly better way to predict the outcome of the game and your winnings. However, if you follow our rummy tips, strategies and read our guide, you can learn all that you need to know about the game.
Yes, all our listed casinos offer a free version of the online game of rummy. Playing rummy for free is a good way to practice your skills and pick your strategy before going ahead to play the game for real money to beat your opponents.
Last Updated on September 14, 2020